Friday, January 21, 2011

What can I do

As a society we need to work together to bring a change. I just realized how much American society is changed in last 35 years and it was by the movements which didn’t start as big movements but got bigger as awareness rose up. I also think that the dominant group also need take responsibility of using their privileged power against the oppressed. I believe if they are aware of the fact how this is affecting the lives of people around and that it really hurt the feelings and destroy the lives then things will get better. I like the way Johnson says the greatest barrier to change is that dominant groups don’t see the trouble as their trouble, it means they don’t feel obliged to do something about it. This happens for a variety of reasons and one is that they don’t know if it exist at the first place, because they don’t have to see it as a trouble, because they see it personal rather than a systematic problem, because they’re reluctant to give up privilege, because they feel angry and deprived and closed to the idea that they have privilege, because they are blinded by the prejudice, because they are afraid what will happen if they acknowledge the reality of privilege and oppression.

I feel like participating in non violent protest and spreading awareness about these issues of civil equality rights about discrimination and oppression. I think that I am privileged to be able to take this class and be able to know all kind of bitter realities of the society in which we are living. I have to accept I have never heard about the issue of transgender issues and how badly they feel about it. I think most subjects we talked in our course have changed my mind. It has also helped in getting a deeper look of American culture. I didn’t know about the ground roots of many issues. I will help in spreading the awareness about these discriminatory issues so that I know I have contributed to a little extent in making the world a better place.

I also like this quote “This is not the way things are suppose to be and this will not always be like this.” We know things are not suppose to be like this and to change them it needs awareness and knowledge. Awareness of the gravity of these issues how certain issues which seems to have no importance in our lives is destroying the lives of our fellow human beings.

2 comments:

  1. I also did not know the extent of transgender issues. I like that this course really opened my eyes to the many issues in today's society that we don't even think about on a daily basis, like classism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the biggest thing that needs to be done is that the privileged need to realize it and want to change. THey need to put in the effort to stop oppressing others and to give up their privilege. It was interesting to me to see how oppressed transgender people where and how age is such a big part of oppression.

    ReplyDelete