Friday, January 14, 2011

Question J

I watched both video Freeheld and Queer streets and felt really sad how hard it is to fight for human rights for homosexual couples. Freeheld was on very basic right of transferring pension to domestic partner and hurdle was there only because her partner was not a man and that they were not married. Most people whether straight or gay don’t like to end up in a marriage contract because they are a happy family and don’t feel a need to do so. Stacie and Laurel were enjoying a healthy relationship yet they are not considered a partner to whom they can pass on the rights.

The people who decide to come on streets in the “Queer streets” video because they don’t get acceptance from home or society. They decide to come on streets rather than changing themselves which is a protest against those who are trying to change them and their likes and dislikes. It is sad to see that they end up taking drugs, destroying their lives because of no support from any place. The only thing they want is pride and acceptance in society. They should get equal rights as other heterosexual couples. It is sad to see people like Laurel Hester who are actively serving in this society but are still not getting what they should and they had to fight for their basic human rights.

5 comments:

  1. I can't imagine ever turning my child away. I thought that movie was hard to watch. I found the Freeholders movie heart warming to see all the people of Ocean Count fight for and with Laurel but the "queer streets" was just...hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also taken aback by these videos, especially the means these homeless people objectify themselves to in turn for standing up for what they believe in. One girl talked about the difficulties of getting a job when because she puts male in her application and always gets odd looks from the employer and hardly ever hears back. It's sad these people face such a harsh reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Dawn-Marie, I don't know how anyone could turn their child away, especially for that reason, I think it is ridiculous. I also thought it was wonderful that all those people spoke up in Laurel's defense but I also felt angry because the poor woman was dying and she should have had that time to be with her partner as opposed to fighting for rights which were hers, not theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the post as well as the comments. This is heartbreaking. Although there are discrimination laws and policies in place, it seems they are seldom followed. People whine and complain about how they are paying for others not to work, their benefits, welfare etc. but how can you complain when they do not have equal rights and we are not allowing them to work??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I am surprised that you all seemed genuinely so surprised by this stuff, and I do not mean this as a criticism. But perhaps as a member of the LGBT Community with many friends from that community, I am very used to seeing this stuff since the time I was a child. And know many people who have been kicked out and are now estranged from their blood families. Nothing in the videos surprised me but simply confirmed the persistence of heterosexist and transphobic oppression and the ways in which people's life chances are seriously jeopardized by these forms of discrimination.

    ReplyDelete